Archive for October, 2007

document translations

Friday, October 19th, 2007

Hey all,

I’m sending 5 documents over to the translator to get prepared for my moms citizenship. I will have to get her registered first before we can proceed with anything else, so I will need these 5 docs translated and 2 with an Apostille. That means I will need to go to the State Dept office in downtown LA next week and get that taken care of. The docs will cost $50 each for translation, so $250 total, + $52 to get 2 docs apostilled. So a little over $300 to get prepared for moms citizenship. And I’ll have to drive down to San Diego to help her with the application and getting it notarized etc. I’ll let you all know how it goes as things are happening.



current status of the citizenship drive

Monday, October 1st, 2007

OK. the lawyer says that I need to 1) get my mom registered as an Italian citizen. 2) petition the courts in Italy to have the adoption recognized. The current status is that it would take about a year after mom’s citizenship is granted to get the second stage done. Perhaps more, perhaps less depending on the strength of the evidence. That part is better than I was told, since last I had heard, 10 years was the length of time being talked about.

The cost will be from €3000 to €5000 …..or $4500 to $7000… depending on how many hearings it takes. There is a slight possibility they may supeona mom to appear and testify. Her appearing in Italy before the court will not happen. They may allow the consulate in LA to act as the court if she can get to LA, but even that is sketchy as long as my nonna is still alive and in such dire health.

At this point, it is more money than I would prefer to spend, but not impossible either. My mind is pretty much to go ahead and keep trying. So the next steps are to have the documents I need for moms citizenship application translated into Italian. And then to send that in and get her citizenship. Then we wait until that is cleared and start step 2.